What is sclerotherapy?
Sclerotherapy is the treatment of varicose and spider veins by the injection of a chemical irritant to sclerose (harden) the blood vessels.
What causes vericose and spider veins?
Varicose and spider veins develop more often in women than in men, and become more prevalent with age. There are many factors that may predispose an individual to this condition, including:
- Occupations that require extensive standing, such as nurses, hair stylists and factory workers
- Hormonal changes due to pregnancy, puberty and menopause
- The use of birth control pills
- Post menopausal hormonal replacement
- A history of blood clots
- Conditions that cause pressure in the abdomen, including tumors, constipation and externally worn garments such as girdles
What are the symptoms of this condition?
If you experience some of the following symptoms associated with varicose and spider veins, you may be an ideal candidate for sclerotherapy:
- Veins that appear dark purple and/or blue
- Threadlike veins that are very thin and lie close to the surface of the skin
- Dull aching or heaviness, and fatigue that seems to be more noticeable late in the day after prolonged sitting or standing
- Tiredness, throbbing, muscle cramping and/or burning in the lower region of your legs
- Significant swelling and/or calf pain after prolonged sitting or standing
- Increased itching around one or more of your veins
- A feeling of restlessness in the leg/legs when going to sleep
What can I expect from this treatment?
Sclerotherapy requires no anesthesia and is usually performed in an outpatient setting. To obtain optimal results, two or more sessions lasting less than an hour each are usually recommended. During treatment, a sclerosing solution is injected into each affected vein causing it to collapse and eventually fade from view. Although everyone is different, you can generally expect to receive one injection per every inch of vein being treated. A cotton ball and compression tape are often applied to each completed injection site.
Every patient heals at a different rate and, as with all medical procedures, there are risks and potential complications involved, all of which will be discussed in detail during your initial consultation.
How can My Plastic Surgery Group help?
If you struggle with varicose and/or spider veins and are interested in learning how sclerotherapy can boost your confidence, please call our office to schedule a consultation with our specialist, Barbara Grider, R.N. Barbara has been performing sclerotherapy for 12 years and is ready to discuss a treatment plan with you.
To make a difference in your life, call: 317-848-5512 or 877-655-8522